02 January, 2009

We are all Gods people...


I was just putting my make up on to go out tonight, and remembered the first time i noticed someone had a different skin colour to me... Nori is Sri Lankan, i knew that, I knew her whole family, but it wasn't till we were one day out shopping, i'd say we'd been friends for about 5 years, we were looking at foundation, and she made a comment about how it was hard for her to get make up to match her skin colour, and i asked why, then looked at her, i'm sure her and Jackie (who was also there) laughed at me for it, but it was the first time I realised she had a different skin colour to me. Can you see her above?


It amazes me how so many people grow up seeing colour, especially these days? I know I have racist thoughts, but I certainly wouldn't call myself a racist, I complain about certain races driving ability, I remember thinking when I went to the states how so many mexicans had crappy jobs, and being scared of black people. Where does this come from? Is it just the movies? I know my thoughts are normal, and maybe its just coz here we don't have Mexicans and Black people are try hard ganstas here (hehe) but i just don't get how i've ended up with these thoughts, when it took so long for me to see a close friend had a different skin colour to me. After meeting several black people in the US i realised they are not all bad, every country has bad people, of all races, but now i wouldn't be scared of black people... Ok, and i know i'm not meant to call them black, BUT here we don't have African Americans, we have black people - aboriginals, people from the south pacific, Africa... all over, you can't narrow it down. So please forgive my terminology.

Anyway, i'm just confused how a. some people grow up knowing and being racist and other people - like me, its happened over time... But i still wouldn't call myself a racist - there's a lot of crappy caucasian drivers out there too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home